Critical Mixed Race Studies (CMRS) is an annual conference, journal (JCMRS), field of study, and scholarly and activist community. Their fourth conference is in Los Angeles at the University of Southern California, hosted by the USC Shinso Ito Center for Japanese Religions and Culture. With Keynote RUDY P. GUEVARRA JR.; over 50 panels, roundtables, and caucus sessions organized by the CMRS Association; two feature film screenings as well as a LIVE performance show and Performance Sampler produced by Mixed Roots Stories. Don’t miss it! Register today!
MRN will also be at CMRS facilitating a Student Affairs Caucus from 1:00-2:30pm on Saturday, February 25th. Room location will be determined.
We hope to see you there!
-MRN Leadership Team
Are you attending the 2014 Critical Mixed Race Studies Conference at DePaul University in Chicago? If so, check out these sessions featuring current and former members of the MRN Leadership Team:
Thursday, November 13
9:45am-11:15am at Room #314A
PANEL: Multiracial Students: Education, Discrimination, and Innovation
- CHAIR: Eric Hamako, Shoreline Community College
- Negotiating Privilege and Oppression: Monoracism’s Influence on Mixed College Student Identities – Marc P. Johnston, The Ohio State University
- Recognizing & Remedying Monoracism in Anti-racist Education – Eric Hamako, Shoreline Community College
- Institutional Struggles with Monoracism: Complicating Admissions Decisions and Data – Kristina Wong Davis, The Ohio State University
Saturday, November 15
10:45am-12:15pm at Room 380
PANEL: Postsecondary Mixed Race Student Experience
- CHAIR: Sara Furr, DePaul University
- Integration and Student Housing Choices: Inside Campus Multicultural Living Communities – Nicole Elasser Watson, Syracuse University
- Creating Safe Spaces for Mixed Race Students – Kaily Heitz, Independent Scholar
- 10 Ways to Support Multiracial Students – Victoria Malaney, American College Personnel Association’s Multiracial Network
- Multiracial Students and the Pathway to a STEM Major – Mette Evelyn Bjerre, University of Notre Dame
1:30pm-3:00pm at Room 314 A/B
ROUNDTABLE: The Lived Experiences of Contemporary Mixed Race Couples in the U.S.
- CHAIR: Ken Tanabe, Loving Day
- Kelley R. Kenney, Kutztown University
- Mark E. Kenney, Chestnut Hill College/DeSales University
- Beth John, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
- Benjamin John, Rush Wisconsin Soccer Club
- Steven Riley, MixedRaceStudies.org
- Julia Cates, MixedRaceStudies.org
We send positive vibes to everyone at CMRS 2014, and special shoutouts to Marc, Victoria, Beth, and Ben for contributing their stories and scholarship to the mixed race conversation. Follow along with their adventures by connecting with MRN on Facebook and Twitter.